New Lokpal’s appointment politically-driven: Punjab Congress
Chandigarh: Alleging that appointment of the new Punjab Lokpal was driven by political intentions, the Congress today strongly opposed the decision saying it will defy the very spirit of the anti-graft act.
Seeking review of appointment of Justice J S Sekhon as the Lokpal, state Congress chief Amarinder Singh claimed that the former Punjab and Haryana High Court judge`s "affiliation" with the ruling party is "well known", leaving no doubt that the designation will be "misused" for settling scores with political rivals.
"Justice Sekhon belongs to a hardcore Akali family. His brother Janmeja Singh Sekhon is Akali minister in the government headed by Parkash Singh Badal. Such person with pronounced political affiliations cannot and must not be allowed to head a constitutional body" Amarinder said.
Amarinder said Sekhon was also appointed by Badal as the Chief Commissioner in Gurdwara Elections Commission.
"Given his background which leaves hardly any scope for doubt about his political affiliations and inclinations, it is not possible to expect him to act in a fair, impartial and apolitical manner," he said.
The former chief minister further alleged that the state government violated rules by not allowing the Leader of Opposition to be a part of the process to select the Lokpal.
Justice Sekhon, meanwhile, could not be contacted for his comments over Amarinder`s remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users