New Lokpal’s appointment politically-driven: Punjab Congress
Chandigarh: Alleging that appointment of the new Punjab Lokpal was driven by political intentions, the Congress today strongly opposed the decision saying it will defy the very spirit of the anti-graft act.
Seeking review of appointment of Justice J S Sekhon as the Lokpal, state Congress chief Amarinder Singh claimed that the former Punjab and Haryana High Court judge`s "affiliation" with the ruling party is "well known", leaving no doubt that the designation will be "misused" for settling scores with political rivals.
"Justice Sekhon belongs to a hardcore Akali family. His brother Janmeja Singh Sekhon is Akali minister in the government headed by Parkash Singh Badal. Such person with pronounced political affiliations cannot and must not be allowed to head a constitutional body" Amarinder said.
Amarinder said Sekhon was also appointed by Badal as the Chief Commissioner in Gurdwara Elections Commission.
"Given his background which leaves hardly any scope for doubt about his political affiliations and inclinations, it is not possible to expect him to act in a fair, impartial and apolitical manner," he said.
The former chief minister further alleged that the state government violated rules by not allowing the Leader of Opposition to be a part of the process to select the Lokpal.
Justice Sekhon, meanwhile, could not be contacted for his comments over Amarinder`s remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!