New Lokpal’s appointment politically-driven: Punjab Congress
Chandigarh: Alleging that appointment of the new Punjab Lokpal was driven by political intentions, the Congress today strongly opposed the decision saying it will defy the very spirit of the anti-graft act.
Seeking review of appointment of Justice J S Sekhon as the Lokpal, state Congress chief Amarinder Singh claimed that the former Punjab and Haryana High Court judge`s "affiliation" with the ruling party is "well known", leaving no doubt that the designation will be "misused" for settling scores with political rivals.
"Justice Sekhon belongs to a hardcore Akali family. His brother Janmeja Singh Sekhon is Akali minister in the government headed by Parkash Singh Badal. Such person with pronounced political affiliations cannot and must not be allowed to head a constitutional body" Amarinder said.
Amarinder said Sekhon was also appointed by Badal as the Chief Commissioner in Gurdwara Elections Commission.
"Given his background which leaves hardly any scope for doubt about his political affiliations and inclinations, it is not possible to expect him to act in a fair, impartial and apolitical manner," he said.
The former chief minister further alleged that the state government violated rules by not allowing the Leader of Opposition to be a part of the process to select the Lokpal.
Justice Sekhon, meanwhile, could not be contacted for his comments over Amarinder`s remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!