Nirmal Yadav`s case adjourned till July 14
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court
Wednesday adjourned till July 14 proceedings in the cash-for-judge scam case after the Law Ministry sought more time to file a reply to whether the sanction to prosecute retired Justice
Nirmal Yadav was initially turned down.
Justice Permod Kohli refused to stay the trial, as prayed
by Yadav`s counsel, and fixed July 14 as the next date of
hearing, giving the Law Ministry more time to respond to the
query raised by the court on May 20.
Meanwhile, Yadav also moved an application seeking
summoning of files pertaining to her transfer from the Punjab
and Haryana High Court to the Uttarakhand High Court.
On May 20, the court had directed the Ministry of Law and
Justice to file an affidavit clarifying if any opinion in
writing was given by the then chief justice K G Balakrishnan
which had eventually led to filing of closure report in the
case by the CBI.
The court had also issued notice to the Centre after
making it a party to a petition filed by Yadav.
The Law Ministry today failed to file an affidavit as per
the court`s directive and sought minimum 15 more days to
respond to the query.
The CBI, in its closure report in December 2009, had
taken the ground that the competent authority had refused to
grant sanction to prosecution of Yadav.
Former High Court Judge Yadav had petitioned in the court
on March 4 seeking quashing of the fresh charge sheet filed by
the CBI in the case against her.
The name of Justice Yadav had surfaced in the cash at
judge`s doorstep scam as the alleged bribe of Rs 15 lakh
erroneously landed in the house of another High Court judge
Nirmaljit Kaur who reported the matter to Chandigarh Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends