No drought-like situation in Punjab: Ashwani Kumar
Gurdaspur: Union Minister Ashwani Kumar on Saturday said there was no drought-like situation in Punjab as claimed by state Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
"Though drought-like situation is existing in parts of some states like Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka and there were so far deficient rains, (but) there was no drought-like stuation in Punjab," he told reporters here.
Punjab government has on August 2 demanded a central package of Rs 2,380 crore from the Centre while describing the current weather conditions as "one of the worst monsoon failures" in recent history.
On the charge by SAD-BJP government that the Centre was meting out a step-motherly treatment to the state, Kumar, Minister of State for Science and Technology and Planning, said the Centre has released huge unds under various central schemes for development of the state.
"State government should make judicious use of money for all-round development," he said.
On alleged false cases registered against Congress workers at the behest of SAD leaders, Kumar said he had written to Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to look into this matter.
On Team Anna`s announcement about joining active politics, Kumar alleged the social activist was resorting to "emotional blackmail" of the public on the issue of corruption and Lok Pal Bill and now the people have started realsiing about the same as evident from the thin attendence at the venue of his hunger strike at Jantar Mantar in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city