No relief from heat wave in Punjab, Haryana; 8 dead
Chandigarh: The ongoing heat wave conditions in most parts of Punjab and Haryana on Saturday continued unabated, claiming at least eight lives and forcing people in the region to confine indoors.
While six persons lost their lives due to intense heat wave in Punjab, two died in Haryana in the past three days, officials said here today.
In Punjab, three persons lost their lives in Amritsar, two in Ferozepur and one in Tarn Taran, whereas in Haryana one each died in Hisar and Sirsa.
All the eight deaths took place due to heat wave, officials said.
According to the Met office here, there are no chances of relief from heat wave in the next couple of days.
The Met forecast that the maximum temperature will hover between 41 to 43 degrees Celsius at most of the places in the region.
Warm winds will also sweep the region and dust storms might strike in some areas, the Met office said, attributing the unusually high temperature in the region to the absence of western disturbances.
Chandigarh is braving a hot of 43 degrees Celsius, the Met said here.
In the wake of the intense heat wave, most of the markets in the region have been wearing a deserted look in the afternoons.
The day temperature of the region, which is likely to hover between 41 to 43 degrees Celsius, will exactly be known towards the evening.
Meanwhile, frequent interruption of power supply and low pressure of water added to the woes of the people in the region.
Due to torrid heat conditions, water levels in most of the rivers, including Beas, Ravi and Sutlej had sharply fallen down, officials said.
The water level of Bhakra Dam had come down to 1563.72 foot and that of Pong Dam to 1309.59 foot, they said, adding that the fall in the levels of water is up to ten foots in both the dams.
In most parts of Punjab and Haryana, including Chandigarh, Hisar and Amritsar have been facing the hottest days in the past decade in the month of May, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery