Nomination process for panchayat polls ends in Punjab
Chandigarh: The process of filing of nominations for the forthcoming Zila Parishad and Panchayat Samiti elections in Punjab was over on Tuesday amid clashes between ruling Akalis and opposition Congress activists at few places in the state.
Total number of nominations filed for Zila Parishad is 1,321, whereas for the Panchayat Samitis 10,085 nomination papers were filed, an election office spokesman said here tonight.
He said that Ludhiana is the district which witnessed largest number 791 of candidates filing their nominations for Panchayat Samitis whereas with the filing of 98 nomination papers for Zila Parishad, Sangrur stood first among all the districts, the spokesman said.
Meanhwile, in a clash between Congress and Akali workers, one person identified as Naseeb Singh PA to Congress MLA from Guruharsahai Rana Gurmit Singh Sodhi was injured during the firing between the two parties at Ferozepur today, a report quoting officials said.
Both the Congress and Akali workers entered into a brawl during the filing of nomination for the ensuing Zila Parishad elections in Mamdot in Ferozepur district.
The brawl took violent turn as both the parties attacked each other, officials said.
Condemning the incident, Rana Sodhi said Congress workers will organize a dharna in Ferozepur tommorow in protest against the atrocities unleashed by the Akalis.
Sodhi called the incident as a "murder of democracy", saying that Akalis have taken law in their hands.
On the other side, senior Akali leader Vardev Singh Mann denied all the allegations.
Mann said that not even a single bullet was fired nor any Congress worker was attacked. "It is a totally fabricated story" he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3