Nomination process for panchayat polls ends in Punjab
Chandigarh: The process of filing of nominations for the forthcoming Zila Parishad and Panchayat Samiti elections in Punjab was over on Tuesday amid clashes between ruling Akalis and opposition Congress activists at few places in the state.
Total number of nominations filed for Zila Parishad is 1,321, whereas for the Panchayat Samitis 10,085 nomination papers were filed, an election office spokesman said here tonight.
He said that Ludhiana is the district which witnessed largest number 791 of candidates filing their nominations for Panchayat Samitis whereas with the filing of 98 nomination papers for Zila Parishad, Sangrur stood first among all the districts, the spokesman said.
Meanhwile, in a clash between Congress and Akali workers, one person identified as Naseeb Singh PA to Congress MLA from Guruharsahai Rana Gurmit Singh Sodhi was injured during the firing between the two parties at Ferozepur today, a report quoting officials said.
Both the Congress and Akali workers entered into a brawl during the filing of nomination for the ensuing Zila Parishad elections in Mamdot in Ferozepur district.
The brawl took violent turn as both the parties attacked each other, officials said.
Condemning the incident, Rana Sodhi said Congress workers will organize a dharna in Ferozepur tommorow in protest against the atrocities unleashed by the Akalis.
Sodhi called the incident as a "murder of democracy", saying that Akalis have taken law in their hands.
On the other side, senior Akali leader Vardev Singh Mann denied all the allegations.
Mann said that not even a single bullet was fired nor any Congress worker was attacked. "It is a totally fabricated story" he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday