Normal life disrupted in Punjab, Haryana due to ba
Chandigarh: Normal life was disrupted in Punjab and Haryana due to a bandh called by several political parties, including NDA, to protest against FDI in multi-brand retail and diesel price hike.
Public transport services were hit with state transport undertakings suspending their long route services to Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and Himachal Pradesh as a precautionary measure.
"We have suspended our inter-state bus services from 8 AM onwards in order to prevent any damage during protests. However, city bus services are operational," a senior official of Chandigarh Transport Department said here today.
However, a senior official of Haryana Transport department said, "Transport services in Haryana were absolutely normal so far," adding, bus services to Punjab have been suspended.
Many private schools in Chandigarh were closed today in the wake of bandh call. However, shops and commercial establishments in Chandigarh were functional.
Railway services in Punjab were normal, DRM Ferozepur Division, N C Goel said.
Flights to various destinations from here operated on schedule.
However, truckers remained off the road on the call given by All India Motor Transport Congress against diesel rate hike.
"Trucks are not operational today to protest the Rs 5 per litre diesel price hike," North India Motor Road Transport, President, Charan Singh Lohara said.
The impact of bandh was visible in several places including Amritsar, Jalandhar, Batala, Ludhiana, Mahendergarh and Ambala where majority of trading establishments were closed.
Members of political parties in Punjab and Haryana including BJP, SAD, INLD took out protest rallies and procession at several places including Ludhiana, Jalandhar, Amristar, Hisar, Jind, Bhiwani, Sirsa and Fatehabad to protest the Centre?s decision on FDI in multi-brand retail, diesel price hike and ceiling on LPG.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery