NRI Sammelan by SAD-BJP government proved farce: Cong
Jalandhar: Describing the two-day NRI Sammelan organised by the state government as a "farce", the Punjab Congress on Sunday accused the SAD-BJP alliance of "befooling" the Punjabi diaspora who had come to the event.
In a joint statement issued here, PPCC leaders Jagjit Singh, Santokh Singh and Amarjit Singh Samra said that the NRIs who attended the Sammelan, held at Anandpur Sahib and Jalandhar, had returned disillusioned as their grievances were not addressed.
The issues of land grab, property disputes and false cases registered against the NRIs were not attended to at the Sammelan, the leaders alleged, adding that the NRI meet was just an occasion to portray the lies of the government in a fashioned manner.
"Both father and son- Parkash Singh Badal and Sukhbir Singh Badal had given a pat to each other for better befooling of NRIs," they said.
Sukhbir had made tall claims of NRI investment in Punjab when he first held the NRI Sammelan in 2002, they said.
Seven years have passed, but not a single penny was invested by any NRI, the leaders claimed.
The Congress leaders said even during the current Sammelan, the NRIs have expressed concern over deteriorating law and order and harassment by police.
"The NRIs were not allowed to raise their grievances. Most of the invitees felt humiliated at the hands of the security staff," they alleged.
The PPCC leader claimed that many NRIs have complained that Akali leaders were grabbing their properties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam