Officers indulged in poll campaigning suspended
Chandigarh: Taking cognizance of
complaints against officers joining assembly poll campaigning
in Punjab, the Election Commission has ordered immediate
suspension and transfer of a number of such officers since
Usha R Sharma, Special Chief Electoral Officer, Punjab,
said Executive Engineer Gurmeet Singh and Sub Divisonal
Officer Harpal Singh of Punjab Water Supply and Sewerage Board
posted in Gurdaspur have been suspended for violating the code
Two booth-level officers Balraj Singh and Balwinder
Singh, employees of Punjab Mandi Board, have also been
suspended for actively participating in poll campaign.
Taking note of a novel way of wooing voters in
Pathankot by an Independent candidate Ashok Sharma who asked
for voted by stamping the newspapers, the CEO has directed to
confiscate the stamped newspapers and include the expenses
incurred on such newspapers in the candidate’s poll
She also said Palwinder Kaur, a teacher posted at
Government Senior Secondary School Putlighar, Amritsar, has
been transferred to headquarters in Chandigarh as she was
campaigning for her husband Virsa Singh Valtoha.
SS Bhullar, Executive Engineer in Irrigation Department,
has been transferred to Chandigarh and B L Singla was shifted
as Executive Enegineer-cum-Technical Examiner-11 and Vigilance
Officer Irrigation Department in Patiala.
The CEO also ordered immediate transfer of SHO Manjit
Singh in Amritsar and Jagdish Benipal Secretary Market
Committee in Abohar.
She also said unaccounted cash worth Rs. 27.43 crore
has been referred to Income Tax Department.
Confiscation since code of conduct came into force
includes 2,293 kg of poppy husk , 10.25 lakh ml illicit
liquor, 1,02,127 country wine bottles, 10,083gm of opium,
6357 gm of heroin and 1617 gm of smack.
She said 191,337 licensed arms have been deposited and 57
unlicensed arms and 192 ammunition seized. 17 cases of
violence related to poll campaign or political rivalry have
been registered across the state.
2050 complaints of violations of model code of conduct
have been received till date, out of which 1305 were resolved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Samsung beat Apple in smartphone shipments amid positive results
- Hafiz Saeed leaves Pakistan fuming, claims protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT
- I have aged not Michelle: Obama
- Look what Sidharth Malhotra has to say about PM Narendra Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee’s ‘Kala Chashma’
- Markandey Katju lambasts Umar Khalid over Burhan Wani, Azadi for Kashmir demand – Know what he said