Omar Abdullah: J&K has 36,600 militancy-hit orphans
Jammu: The two-decade-long militancy has affected 36,000 people in Jammu and Kashmir with more than 26,000 children left orphaned and over 8,000 women widowed, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Friday.
"As per a survey, the number of widows, orphans and handicapped is 36,600 which includes 6,345 widows of civilians, 2,266 widows of militants, 20,707 orphans of
civilians, 5,379 orphans of militants and 1,903 disabled people," he said in a written reply in Legislative Assembly.
In 2007-08, the Rehabilitation Council of Social Welfare Department conducted a survey of widows, orphans and handicapped persons rendered due to militancy-related incidents, the chief minister said.
Financial assistance is being provided to widows in the form of pension, scholarships and marriage assistance.
In reply to another question whether the government contemplates to constitute a Commission of Inquiry to probe the alleged cases of forced disappearances and if so, when, he said that the idea of having a Truth and Reconciliation Commission in the state was shared on the floor of the House during the last Budget Session.
However, the constitution of such a commission would require wider consultations and a broad consensus among all stakeholders including the Government of India (GoI), he said.
The state shall look into all the aspects relating to the establishment of such a Commission in consultation with all stake holders including the GoI, the chief minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy