Over 100 farmers arrested in Punjab
Chandigarh: Around 120 farmers owing
allegiance to various organisations were arrested in Punjab by
police as a preventive measure in the wake of proposed protest
rally of several Kisan Unions at Amritsar from March 25 to 27.
Punjab`s ADGP (Law and Order) J P Birdi said around
120 farmers have been taken into custody after raids at
different places in view of their proposed rally at Amritsar
for which the state government has denied permission.
Meanwhile, the Centre has also decided to send six to
eight companies of paramilitary forces to Amritsar in view of
the rally, official sources said.
The government has imposed Section 144 in Amritsar
(banning assembly of five or more people) to maintain law and
order keeping in view the proposed rally by farmers.
Punjab CPI had described the arrest of farmers by
police as "shameful and undemocratic".
Punjab CPI Secretary Bhupender Samber alleged that the
Parkash Singh Badal government has let loose reign of
repression against peaceful democratic struggles of farmers.
The farmers, including their leaders Punjab Kisan Sabha
General Secretary Lehmber Singh Taggar, Punjab Khet Mazdoor
Sangh president Swaran Singh, Punjab CPI executive members
Mohinder Singh and Gulzar Singh among others were arrested
after raids by police.
The rally has been planned to protest against
registeration of cases against farmers, to levy taxes and hike
in power bills and recent killing of kisan leader Sadhu Singh.
Reports say most of the farmers and their leaders have
been arrested from districts of Tarn Taran, Amritsar,
Gurdaspur, Jalandhar, Bathinda and Sangrur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’