Over 100 farmers arrested in Punjab
Chandigarh: Around 120 farmers owing
allegiance to various organisations were arrested in Punjab by
police as a preventive measure in the wake of proposed protest
rally of several Kisan Unions at Amritsar from March 25 to 27.
Punjab`s ADGP (Law and Order) J P Birdi said around
120 farmers have been taken into custody after raids at
different places in view of their proposed rally at Amritsar
for which the state government has denied permission.
Meanwhile, the Centre has also decided to send six to
eight companies of paramilitary forces to Amritsar in view of
the rally, official sources said.
The government has imposed Section 144 in Amritsar
(banning assembly of five or more people) to maintain law and
order keeping in view the proposed rally by farmers.
Punjab CPI had described the arrest of farmers by
police as "shameful and undemocratic".
Punjab CPI Secretary Bhupender Samber alleged that the
Parkash Singh Badal government has let loose reign of
repression against peaceful democratic struggles of farmers.
The farmers, including their leaders Punjab Kisan Sabha
General Secretary Lehmber Singh Taggar, Punjab Khet Mazdoor
Sangh president Swaran Singh, Punjab CPI executive members
Mohinder Singh and Gulzar Singh among others were arrested
after raids by police.
The rally has been planned to protest against
registeration of cases against farmers, to levy taxes and hike
in power bills and recent killing of kisan leader Sadhu Singh.
Reports say most of the farmers and their leaders have
been arrested from districts of Tarn Taran, Amritsar,
Gurdaspur, Jalandhar, Bathinda and Sangrur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo