Pak Interior Secy visits Golden Temple
Amritsar: Pakistan Interior Secretary
Chaudhary Qamar Zaman today visited the Golden Temple here
responding to a "divine call" and said he prayed for the
betterment of India-Pakistan relations.
Zaman, who crossed into India through the Attari-Wagah
border to attend the two-day India-Pakistan Home Secretary-
level talks beginning in Delhi tomorrow, visited the holiest
Sikh shrine when his flight from Amritsar to the national
capital got delayed.
"It was a very unexpected opportunity we got because of
the delay of the flight and that was something... `jo hum
kehte bulawa aaya tha...` (what we say a divine call)," he
said on reaching the Indira Gandhi International Airport in
The Pakistan Interior Secretary said he prayed for better
relations between India and Pakistan.
"Hum wahan behtarin taluqat ke liye dua mangey (I prayed
for better ties)," Zaman, who wore a blue head gear while
visiting the 16th century temple, said. He was accompanied by
other Pakistani delegation members.
He told reporters here, "Pakistan Government would not
allow anybody to take forcible possession of land belonging to
Gurdwaras in Lahore."
He also said land belonging to Sikh religious places will
not be allowed to be sold in his country.
Zaman was responding to a question on a controversy over
construction of a plaza on a land belonging to 400-year-old
Deewan Khana Gurudwara in Lahore.
On his visit to the temple, he said, "There was no
schedule to go anywhere in India after reaching here, since I
had to rush to Delhi. I am in India exclusively to attend the
two-day meeting with my Indian counterpart G K Pillai.
"But, I don`t know, how a miracle happened and the plan
which was scheduled to take me to Delhi got late by half-an-
hour and destiny brought me to the Golden Temple."
Zaman said, "My forefathers including my grandfather often
told me about the spiritual significance of the Golden Temple
and talked regularly about this spiritual place, which had
created a strong desire in the deepest core of my heart to
have a glimpse of this pious place and today I feel my
spiritual mission has been accomplished."
Talking about the World Cup Cricket, he said, "Cricket
fever is prevailing on both sides and people of India and
Pakistan always love to watch a match between the two
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials