Panel recommends Manpreet`s expulsion from SAD
Chandigarh: Toughening its posture
against sacked Punjab Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal,
the Disciplinary Action Committee (DAC) of the ruling
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) Wednesday recommended his expulsion
from primary membership of the party.
DAC chairman Ranjit Singh Brahmpura told reporters
after a key meeting of the SAD here that the Committee had
recommended to party chief Sukhbir Singh Badal to expel
Manpreet, his cousin, from the party`s primary membership for
indulging in anti-party activities.
Manpreet, four-time MLA from Gidderbaha Assembly seat,
had recently been sacked as Finance Minister by his uncle and
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
He had been asked by the DAC on October 11 to be
present before it today and not to go public on any issue
during the interim period.
However, Manpreet had announced that he would not
appear before the DAC and said he expected that the next
course of action against him would be expulsion.
"We had asked Manpreet to appear before us by 11 am,
but we waited till 1.30 pm. He did not bother to make his
presence before us...besides he also made statements against
Sukhbir Singh Badal, the core committee of the SAD...he has
indulged in anti-party activities," Brahmpura said.
Besides, the DAC also issued show cause notice to two
party MLAs - Jagbir Singh Brar, who is legislator from
Jalandhar cantonment and Manpreet`s relative and Manjinder
Singh Kang, MLA from Beas - till November 10.
Both the MLAs had shown their support to Manpreet in
his stand against the partyline adopted by Sukhbir on
subsidies and the proposed loan waiver by the Centre.
Brahmpura, who is heading the five-member panel of
the ruling SAD, said that the decision to recommend Manpreet`s
expulsion from the party was "unanimous."
"Manpreet had made condemnable statements against
Sukhbir and core committee members of the SAD," he said.
Manpreet is continuously being isolated within the SAD
after he raised his voice on the proposed debt waiver by the
Centre and his opposition to subsidies being a key factor in
the election manifesto of the SAD.
The claims of the proposed central debt waiver having
certain pre-conditions have been refuted by Chief Minister
Badal and his son Sukhbir.
Manpreet had maintained that he would continue his
fight by remaining within the SAD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy