Panel wants bail pleas of 175 undertrials allowed in Chandigarh
Bhopal: The committee set up to review the cases of undertrials in Chhattisgarh has recommended that the state government should not oppose the bail petitions of 175 persons currently in jail.
The committee is reviewing cases of 960 undertrials, who have been languishing in jails for over two years.
Giving the information, the committee chairperson and former Madhya Pradesh Chief Secretary, Nirmala Buch told a news agency here today that it had so far reviewed cases of 235 undertrials.
Nirmala said that of these cases, the committee had recommended to the Chhattisgarh government that the bail pleas of 175 persons should not be opposed.
The Committee was formed in May last year as part of the deal to secure the release of Sukma collector, Alex Paul Menon who was kidnapped by the Naxals.
She said that many of those in jails for more than two years were booked for petty offences.
Nirmala said that the condition of women undertrials was pathetic and even when they are released from jail, their families refuse to accept them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!