Panel wants bail pleas of 175 undertrials allowed in Chandigarh
Bhopal: The committee set up to review the cases of undertrials in Chhattisgarh has recommended that the state government should not oppose the bail petitions of 175 persons currently in jail.
The committee is reviewing cases of 960 undertrials, who have been languishing in jails for over two years.
Giving the information, the committee chairperson and former Madhya Pradesh Chief Secretary, Nirmala Buch told a news agency here today that it had so far reviewed cases of 235 undertrials.
Nirmala said that of these cases, the committee had recommended to the Chhattisgarh government that the bail pleas of 175 persons should not be opposed.
The Committee was formed in May last year as part of the deal to secure the release of Sukma collector, Alex Paul Menon who was kidnapped by the Naxals.
She said that many of those in jails for more than two years were booked for petty offences.
Nirmala said that the condition of women undertrials was pathetic and even when they are released from jail, their families refuse to accept them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing