Parkash Singh Badal seeks PM`s intervention on mining projects
Chandigarh: Seeking personal intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday appealed to him to get all pending issues examined expeditiously by the Union Environment Ministry for early approval to 95 mining projects.
In a letter to the Prime Minister today, Badal said, the "non-clearance by the Ministry (MoEF) has not only led to alarming scarcity of construction material but could also cause law and order problems in the state."
Punjab was facing a critical situation regarding availability of construction material including sand and bricks, which had adversely impacted the construction activity in the state due to issues pending with MoEF, he said.
The Chief Minister asked for an Expert Appraisal Committee of the Environment Ministry to consider the case for granting environmental clearance regarding 95 mining projects under category `A` which were submitted by the state government in June this year, according to an official release here today.
Badal further requested the Prime Minister to advise the MoEF to empower the state authority for considering environment clearance of minor mineral projects, irrespective of its area by amending the schedule concerned.
All the mineral projects of an area less than 5 hectares be considered in the B-2 category projects so that their environmental clearances could be obtained in minimum possible time schedule, he said.
Badal also recommended exemption from obtaining environmental clearance for minor mineral projects of ordinary earth and brick earth wherein the depth of mining does not exceed six feet.
Meanwhile, the Chief Minister also wrote to Union Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan in light of his meeting with her on December 3.
In the letter, he said Natarajan had realised the gravity of the situation then and assured of early action to grant environmental clearance to projects in the meeting.
"Needless to say, delay of every single day is adding to the distress nearly halting all major infrastructural projects. Since no clearance has been received so far, may I once again request you to personally intervene in the matter and grant early environment clearance to the 95 pending mining projects," Badal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015