Parkash Singh Badal would continue as CM: Sukhbir
Chandigarh: Putting at rest all speculation,
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) today declared that Parkash Singh
Badal will remain the Chief Minister of Punjab, a post he
would be holding for a record fifth time.
"I had declared it well in advance that Badal will be the
Chief Minister," SAD President Sukhbir Singh Badal told
reporters at the chief minister`s official residence here.
Sukhbir said that the swearing-in ceremony will take
place on March 14.
On who all will be inducted in the Badal cabinet, Sukhbir
said that a decision to that effect will be taken by the chief
He gave his father the credit for returning the SAD to
power. "Under the leadership of (Parkash Singh) Badal, the
state performed well and Akalis got victory," he said.
When his attention was drawn on who will become the next
deputy chief minister, Sukhbir, who is currently holding the
post, said that there was no confusion on the issue.
"Both the SAD and the BJP will decide upon the post of
Deputy Chief Minister," he added.
He thanked people of Punjab for reposing faith in the
policies and programmes of the SAD and said, "The SAD-BJP
alliance government will strive to fulfil the dreams of the
people of the state.
"It is rule of people that has been retained in Punjab by
the electorate," he said, adding that the verdict had sent a
clear signal to political parties and leaders that whosoever
will perform will lead the government.
Sukhbir rubbished the claims of the Congress and the
People`s Party of Punjab (PPP) that coffers of the state were
"Last time too the opposition tried to give this message
but we generated resources to get revenue," he said.
"I assure the people of the state that the SAD-BJP
combine government will take the Punjab much ahead and bring
it on first position in every front," he said.
On PPP founder Manpreet Singh Badal, estranged nephew of
Parkash Singh Badal, Sukhbir said that he became MLA four
times on Akali ticket and now after losing the polls, he is
levelling baseless allegations against the SAD.
Manpreet had alleged that the SAD had used money power to
return to power in Punjab.
"He (Manpreet) should accept the verdict of the
people," he said.
"Our target is to perform so well that the SAD-BJP
government remains for the next 25 years," he said.
Sukhbir also said that the party`s future course of
action will be decided at the core committee meeting to be
Senior Badal, meanwhile, appreciated the role played by
his son in bringing back Akalis to power.
"Sukhbir played an excellent role and succeeded in
bringing back Akalis to power," he said
A long queue of well wishers was present to greet the
Badals at the chief minister`s official residence for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks