Parkash Singh Badal would continue as CM: Sukhbir
Chandigarh: Putting at rest all speculation,
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) today declared that Parkash Singh
Badal will remain the Chief Minister of Punjab, a post he
would be holding for a record fifth time.
"I had declared it well in advance that Badal will be the
Chief Minister," SAD President Sukhbir Singh Badal told
reporters at the chief minister`s official residence here.
Sukhbir said that the swearing-in ceremony will take
place on March 14.
On who all will be inducted in the Badal cabinet, Sukhbir
said that a decision to that effect will be taken by the chief
He gave his father the credit for returning the SAD to
power. "Under the leadership of (Parkash Singh) Badal, the
state performed well and Akalis got victory," he said.
When his attention was drawn on who will become the next
deputy chief minister, Sukhbir, who is currently holding the
post, said that there was no confusion on the issue.
"Both the SAD and the BJP will decide upon the post of
Deputy Chief Minister," he added.
He thanked people of Punjab for reposing faith in the
policies and programmes of the SAD and said, "The SAD-BJP
alliance government will strive to fulfil the dreams of the
people of the state.
"It is rule of people that has been retained in Punjab by
the electorate," he said, adding that the verdict had sent a
clear signal to political parties and leaders that whosoever
will perform will lead the government.
Sukhbir rubbished the claims of the Congress and the
People`s Party of Punjab (PPP) that coffers of the state were
"Last time too the opposition tried to give this message
but we generated resources to get revenue," he said.
"I assure the people of the state that the SAD-BJP
combine government will take the Punjab much ahead and bring
it on first position in every front," he said.
On PPP founder Manpreet Singh Badal, estranged nephew of
Parkash Singh Badal, Sukhbir said that he became MLA four
times on Akali ticket and now after losing the polls, he is
levelling baseless allegations against the SAD.
Manpreet had alleged that the SAD had used money power to
return to power in Punjab.
"He (Manpreet) should accept the verdict of the
people," he said.
"Our target is to perform so well that the SAD-BJP
government remains for the next 25 years," he said.
Sukhbir also said that the party`s future course of
action will be decided at the core committee meeting to be
Senior Badal, meanwhile, appreciated the role played by
his son in bringing back Akalis to power.
"Sukhbir played an excellent role and succeeded in
bringing back Akalis to power," he said
A long queue of well wishers was present to greet the
Badals at the chief minister`s official residence for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh