Patiala rape case: Action against erring cops
New Delhi: The authorities in Punjab on Friday registered a criminal case against a Sub-Inspector and other policemen for abetting a minor to commit suicide after raping her.
Announcing the decision, Punjab DGP Sumedh Singh Saini said, “We have registered a criminal case against the erring Sub-Inspector and other policemen who were involved in the case.”
Saini further stated that a departmental inquiry has also begun to reveal the truth related to the matter.
The Punjab DGP, while admitting lapses by police, said that all necessary action will be taken against those guilty in the case.
The action from the Punjab police came after the Punjab & Haryana High Court took suo-motu cognisance of the Patiala rape-suicide case and issued a notice to the Inspector General of Police over the incident.
The High Court also expressed its displeasure and shock over how the minor girl was driven to suicide after her rapists threatened her with dire consequences.
The court also reprimanded the local police for failing to act on her complaint.
The minor was raped on Diwali by two men, and despite the fact that she went on camera to narrate her ordeal over a month back, no arrests were made.
On Thursday, after the victim`s suicide came to light, the Punjab government dismissed the local SHO and two other policemen.
Inspector General of Police, Patiala, PS Gill said that the SHO not only delayed the registration of case but did not even inform the senior officers about the incident. The two accused, and a woman accomplice, too were arrested yesterday.
The family of the minor rape victim has said that the police cast aspersions on her character when they sought help.
The girl in her suicide note had stated that she was harassed and scared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire