Patiala rape case: Action against erring cops
New Delhi: The authorities in Punjab on Friday registered a criminal case against a Sub-Inspector and other policemen for abetting a minor to commit suicide after raping her.
Announcing the decision, Punjab DGP Sumedh Singh Saini said, “We have registered a criminal case against the erring Sub-Inspector and other policemen who were involved in the case.”
Saini further stated that a departmental inquiry has also begun to reveal the truth related to the matter.
The Punjab DGP, while admitting lapses by police, said that all necessary action will be taken against those guilty in the case.
The action from the Punjab police came after the Punjab & Haryana High Court took suo-motu cognisance of the Patiala rape-suicide case and issued a notice to the Inspector General of Police over the incident.
The High Court also expressed its displeasure and shock over how the minor girl was driven to suicide after her rapists threatened her with dire consequences.
The court also reprimanded the local police for failing to act on her complaint.
The minor was raped on Diwali by two men, and despite the fact that she went on camera to narrate her ordeal over a month back, no arrests were made.
On Thursday, after the victim`s suicide came to light, the Punjab government dismissed the local SHO and two other policemen.
Inspector General of Police, Patiala, PS Gill said that the SHO not only delayed the registration of case but did not even inform the senior officers about the incident. The two accused, and a woman accomplice, too were arrested yesterday.
The family of the minor rape victim has said that the police cast aspersions on her character when they sought help.
The girl in her suicide note had stated that she was harassed and scared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia