Patiala rape case: HC seeks explanation from Punjab police
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Friday took suo motu cognizance of the Patiala rape incident, whose victim ended her life two days ago, and sought a status report from Punjab Police.
Chief Justice A K Sikri asked the Inspector General of Police, Patiala, to file the report stating reasons for delay in police action on victim`s complaint and the action taken against the policemen responsible for such delay.
The court fixed January 8 as the next date of hearing.
The 18-year-old girl had allegedly committed suicide on December 26, 44 days after she was allegedly gang-raped.
She had alleged police inaction on her complaint prior to killing self.
Police last night sacked two of its personnel, including an SHO and the IO, and suspended the area DSP besides ordering a probe into the alleged inaction. The probe will be conducted by a senior police officer.
All the three rape accused were arrested only yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?