Patiala rape case: HC seeks explanation from Punjab police
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Friday took suo motu cognizance of the Patiala rape incident, whose victim ended her life two days ago, and sought a status report from Punjab Police.
Chief Justice A K Sikri asked the Inspector General of Police, Patiala, to file the report stating reasons for delay in police action on victim`s complaint and the action taken against the policemen responsible for such delay.
The court fixed January 8 as the next date of hearing.
The 18-year-old girl had allegedly committed suicide on December 26, 44 days after she was allegedly gang-raped.
She had alleged police inaction on her complaint prior to killing self.
Police last night sacked two of its personnel, including an SHO and the IO, and suspended the area DSP besides ordering a probe into the alleged inaction. The probe will be conducted by a senior police officer.
All the three rape accused were arrested only yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara