Patiala rape case: HC seeks explanation from Punjab police
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Friday took suo motu cognizance of the Patiala rape incident, whose victim ended her life two days ago, and sought a status report from Punjab Police.
Chief Justice A K Sikri asked the Inspector General of Police, Patiala, to file the report stating reasons for delay in police action on victim`s complaint and the action taken against the policemen responsible for such delay.
The court fixed January 8 as the next date of hearing.
The 18-year-old girl had allegedly committed suicide on December 26, 44 days after she was allegedly gang-raped.
She had alleged police inaction on her complaint prior to killing self.
Police last night sacked two of its personnel, including an SHO and the IO, and suspended the area DSP besides ordering a probe into the alleged inaction. The probe will be conducted by a senior police officer.
All the three rape accused were arrested only yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!