Patiala rape case: HC seeks explanation from Punjab police
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Friday took suo motu cognizance of the Patiala rape incident, whose victim ended her life two days ago, and sought a status report from Punjab Police.
Chief Justice A K Sikri asked the Inspector General of Police, Patiala, to file the report stating reasons for delay in police action on victim`s complaint and the action taken against the policemen responsible for such delay.
The court fixed January 8 as the next date of hearing.
The 18-year-old girl had allegedly committed suicide on December 26, 44 days after she was allegedly gang-raped.
She had alleged police inaction on her complaint prior to killing self.
Police last night sacked two of its personnel, including an SHO and the IO, and suspended the area DSP besides ordering a probe into the alleged inaction. The probe will be conducted by a senior police officer.
All the three rape accused were arrested only yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble