Patient dies after stretcher catches fire at PGIMER
Chandigarh: A patient, who was being revived with electric shocks at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical and Research (PGIMER) here, died after a short circuit led to his stretcher catching fire, police said on Tuesday.
The incident took place around 11.00 pm on Monday in recovery room of the hospital`s emergency ward. PGIMER sources said the doctors on duty were trying to revive 55-year-old Jinder Singh from Ludhiana with electric shocks.
"It was during this procedure that a short circuit took place in the equipment and the bedding on the stretcher caught fire," a security guard at the emergency wing said.
Jinder Singh received burn injuries on his body, including his chest.
"We are investigating the matter. We have collected evidence from the spot. No case has been registered so far," Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Des Raj said.
Annoyed family members protested outside the emergency, charging the PGIMER doctors and staff with negligence. Some family members alleged that there was a short circuit in the ventilator machine. However, hospital sources said it took place in the equipment used for giving electric shocks.
PGIMER spokesperson Manju Wadwalkar said: "We are looking into the incident that happened late last night. We will issue an official statement later in the day."
Jinder Singh was brought here from Doraha town near Ludhiana, 120 km from here, by his family members recently, with a serious liver problem. He had undergone surgery on Saturday but his condition worsened later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note