Patient dies after stretcher catches fire at PGIMER
Chandigarh: A patient, who was being revived with electric shocks at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical and Research (PGIMER) here, died after a short circuit led to his stretcher catching fire, police said on Tuesday.
The incident took place around 11.00 pm on Monday in recovery room of the hospital`s emergency ward. PGIMER sources said the doctors on duty were trying to revive 55-year-old Jinder Singh from Ludhiana with electric shocks.
"It was during this procedure that a short circuit took place in the equipment and the bedding on the stretcher caught fire," a security guard at the emergency wing said.
Jinder Singh received burn injuries on his body, including his chest.
"We are investigating the matter. We have collected evidence from the spot. No case has been registered so far," Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Des Raj said.
Annoyed family members protested outside the emergency, charging the PGIMER doctors and staff with negligence. Some family members alleged that there was a short circuit in the ventilator machine. However, hospital sources said it took place in the equipment used for giving electric shocks.
PGIMER spokesperson Manju Wadwalkar said: "We are looking into the incident that happened late last night. We will issue an official statement later in the day."
Jinder Singh was brought here from Doraha town near Ludhiana, 120 km from here, by his family members recently, with a serious liver problem. He had undergone surgery on Saturday but his condition worsened later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves