Patient dies after stretcher catches fire at PGIMER
Chandigarh: A patient, who was being revived with electric shocks at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical and Research (PGIMER) here, died after a short circuit led to his stretcher catching fire, police said on Tuesday.
The incident took place around 11.00 pm on Monday in recovery room of the hospital`s emergency ward. PGIMER sources said the doctors on duty were trying to revive 55-year-old Jinder Singh from Ludhiana with electric shocks.
"It was during this procedure that a short circuit took place in the equipment and the bedding on the stretcher caught fire," a security guard at the emergency wing said.
Jinder Singh received burn injuries on his body, including his chest.
"We are investigating the matter. We have collected evidence from the spot. No case has been registered so far," Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Des Raj said.
Annoyed family members protested outside the emergency, charging the PGIMER doctors and staff with negligence. Some family members alleged that there was a short circuit in the ventilator machine. However, hospital sources said it took place in the equipment used for giving electric shocks.
PGIMER spokesperson Manju Wadwalkar said: "We are looking into the incident that happened late last night. We will issue an official statement later in the day."
Jinder Singh was brought here from Doraha town near Ludhiana, 120 km from here, by his family members recently, with a serious liver problem. He had undergone surgery on Saturday but his condition worsened later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal