PB Assembly welcomes Surjeet`s return
Chandigarh: Cutting across party lines, the Punjab Assembly today unanimously welcomed the release of Surjeet Singh, while urging the Centre to take initiatives for the early release of condemned prisoner Sarabjit Singh from Pakistan`s jail.
Leader of the House and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal moved a resolution welcoming the release of Surjeet Singh, who returned home yesterday after spending 31 years in a Pakistan jail.
"I congratulate Surjeet and his family members", Badal said moving the resolution.
He, however, urged the Centre to take steps to secure the release of another resident of the state Sarabjit Singh languishing in Lahore jail for the last 20 years.
The Chief Minister said that the early release of Sarabjeet would help in further improving the relations between Pakistan and India.
"The relations between India and Pakistan had improved considerably by opening up of the Integrated Check Post (ICP) at Wagha", he said.
He urged the Prime Minister and Foreign Minister to take up the matter of release of Sarabjeet Singh.
"By releasing all prisoners who had completed their jail term will definitely improve relations between the two nations", Badal said, adding, both India and Pakistan are working to improve relations between the two nations.
Leader of Opposition Sunil Kumar Jakhar of Congress also supported Badal`s resolution and demanded that all prisoners who had completed their sentence and were languishing in different jails of Pakistan must be released for improving the ties between the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad