Pb seeks Rs 350 cr from Centre for Sakki nullah rehabilitation
Chandigarh: The Punjab Government has sought Rs 350 crore from the Union Government for the de-silting, relining and rehabilitation process of the 152-km long Sakki Nullah running from Gurdaspur to Amritsar.
The state government has urged the Centre to approve this project and release the grant at the earliest so that the work could be initiated on this multi-dimensional project.
Sakki Nullah, which starts from Swailpur village near Dinanagar in Gurdaspur district and goes up to Lodhi Gujjar village in Rajasansi in Amritsar district, creates much trouble during the rainy season, according to an official release issued here on Sunday.
More than 76,000 acres of land get submerged every year, besides affecting the lives of more than 1.25 lakh people of more than 500 villages, it said.
Considering this problem, the state government has chalked out a project of Rs 350 crore, which has been sent to the Centre for its approval.
The release further said that the Punjab Government in this financial year has incurred Rs 511 crore out of total sanctioned amount of Rs 1200 crore for the strengthening of embankment of the rivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?