Pb seeks Rs 350 cr from Centre for Sakki nullah rehabilitation
Chandigarh: The Punjab Government has sought Rs 350 crore from the Union Government for the de-silting, relining and rehabilitation process of the 152-km long Sakki Nullah running from Gurdaspur to Amritsar.
The state government has urged the Centre to approve this project and release the grant at the earliest so that the work could be initiated on this multi-dimensional project.
Sakki Nullah, which starts from Swailpur village near Dinanagar in Gurdaspur district and goes up to Lodhi Gujjar village in Rajasansi in Amritsar district, creates much trouble during the rainy season, according to an official release issued here on Sunday.
More than 76,000 acres of land get submerged every year, besides affecting the lives of more than 1.25 lakh people of more than 500 villages, it said.
Considering this problem, the state government has chalked out a project of Rs 350 crore, which has been sent to the Centre for its approval.
The release further said that the Punjab Government in this financial year has incurred Rs 511 crore out of total sanctioned amount of Rs 1200 crore for the strengthening of embankment of the rivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Mood swings! What's on Parineeti Chopra's mind?
- WATCH: IPL 2016 final highlights: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs SunRisers Hyderabad
- Fast, stretchy circuits could revolutionise Internet of Things!
- This latest OK JAANU pic shows Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor are so much in love!
- Major trouble for Tanmay Bhat! Raj Thackeray-led MNS vows to thrash him for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar