Peace committee formed for Rakabganj Gurdwara
New Delhi: In the wake of clash between two groups recently at Rakabganj Gurdwara here, various sikh organisations on Wednesday announced forming a `Peace Committee` of eminent sikhs and representatives of the factions involved.
The main purpose of this committee is to maintain peace, especially in view of `nagar kirtan` and Gurpurab celebrations later this month.
Announcing formation of the five-member `Peace Committee`, its convener H S Phoolka said the panel will also have two members each from Sarna and Badal groups, which had clashed on the Gurdwara premises on November 15.
The committee has also appealed to the people to inform it in case of any information about likelihood of any violence so that it takes remedial steps to avoid it.
A Nagar Kirtan is planned in the Gurdwara on November 24 and 27 and during the big congregation on both the Gurpurabs of Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Nanak Dev on November 25 and 28.
The committee members include sikh scholar and former Director of PGI Chandigarh J.S. Neki, noted writer Ajeet Caur, former CBI Director Joginder Singh, IGNOU professor of political science Amarjit Singh Narang and senior advocate of Supreme Court H S Phoolka.
The two nominees of Sarna Group in the committee are Bhajan Singh Walia and Tarsem Singh, while the nominees of the Badal Group are Manjinder Singh Sirsa and Harmeet Singh Kalkaji.
The committee has also decided to hold a candlelight cigil at the spot of the violence in Gurdwara Rakab Ganj on November 23 at 5 PM.
The committee, formed after a meeting of various sikh organisations led by Sikh Forum to discuss the violence at Gurudwara Rakab Ganj on November 15 and its follow-up, has started working and interacting with both the groups.
The committee has also written to Delhi Police Commissioner and sought his help and guidance in maintaining peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report