Peace committee formed for Rakabganj Gurdwara
New Delhi: In the wake of clash between two groups recently at Rakabganj Gurdwara here, various sikh organisations on Wednesday announced forming a `Peace Committee` of eminent sikhs and representatives of the factions involved.
The main purpose of this committee is to maintain peace, especially in view of `nagar kirtan` and Gurpurab celebrations later this month.
Announcing formation of the five-member `Peace Committee`, its convener H S Phoolka said the panel will also have two members each from Sarna and Badal groups, which had clashed on the Gurdwara premises on November 15.
The committee has also appealed to the people to inform it in case of any information about likelihood of any violence so that it takes remedial steps to avoid it.
A Nagar Kirtan is planned in the Gurdwara on November 24 and 27 and during the big congregation on both the Gurpurabs of Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Nanak Dev on November 25 and 28.
The committee members include sikh scholar and former Director of PGI Chandigarh J.S. Neki, noted writer Ajeet Caur, former CBI Director Joginder Singh, IGNOU professor of political science Amarjit Singh Narang and senior advocate of Supreme Court H S Phoolka.
The two nominees of Sarna Group in the committee are Bhajan Singh Walia and Tarsem Singh, while the nominees of the Badal Group are Manjinder Singh Sirsa and Harmeet Singh Kalkaji.
The committee has also decided to hold a candlelight cigil at the spot of the violence in Gurdwara Rakab Ganj on November 23 at 5 PM.
The committee, formed after a meeting of various sikh organisations led by Sikh Forum to discuss the violence at Gurudwara Rakab Ganj on November 15 and its follow-up, has started working and interacting with both the groups.
The committee has also written to Delhi Police Commissioner and sought his help and guidance in maintaining peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing