Peace committee formed for Rakabganj Gurdwara
New Delhi: In the wake of clash between two groups recently at Rakabganj Gurdwara here, various sikh organisations on Wednesday announced forming a `Peace Committee` of eminent sikhs and representatives of the factions involved.
The main purpose of this committee is to maintain peace, especially in view of `nagar kirtan` and Gurpurab celebrations later this month.
Announcing formation of the five-member `Peace Committee`, its convener H S Phoolka said the panel will also have two members each from Sarna and Badal groups, which had clashed on the Gurdwara premises on November 15.
The committee has also appealed to the people to inform it in case of any information about likelihood of any violence so that it takes remedial steps to avoid it.
A Nagar Kirtan is planned in the Gurdwara on November 24 and 27 and during the big congregation on both the Gurpurabs of Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Nanak Dev on November 25 and 28.
The committee members include sikh scholar and former Director of PGI Chandigarh J.S. Neki, noted writer Ajeet Caur, former CBI Director Joginder Singh, IGNOU professor of political science Amarjit Singh Narang and senior advocate of Supreme Court H S Phoolka.
The two nominees of Sarna Group in the committee are Bhajan Singh Walia and Tarsem Singh, while the nominees of the Badal Group are Manjinder Singh Sirsa and Harmeet Singh Kalkaji.
The committee has also decided to hold a candlelight cigil at the spot of the violence in Gurdwara Rakab Ganj on November 23 at 5 PM.
The committee, formed after a meeting of various sikh organisations led by Sikh Forum to discuss the violence at Gurudwara Rakab Ganj on November 15 and its follow-up, has started working and interacting with both the groups.
The committee has also written to Delhi Police Commissioner and sought his help and guidance in maintaining peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical