PM conferred honorary doctorate by Punjab Agricultural University
Ludhiana: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Saturday conferred with an honorary doctorate by the Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) with the citation describing him as the "architect of economic reforms in the country."
Besides the Prime Minister, honorary degrees were awarded to three others - Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, former director general of ICAR, RS Paroda, and renowned soil scientist Jaswant Singh Kanwar -- at a special convocation organised as part of the university`s Golden Jubilee celebrations.
"Dr Manmohan Singh`s leadership as the Prime Minister of our country has won him wide acclaim. He is respected the world over for his scholarship and his deep knowledge of the global economy," the citation of the Doctor of Science (honoris causa) conferred on him stated.
It noted that Singh had completed his BA Economics (Hons) in 1952 and MA (Economics) in 1954 from the Panjab University, with a first position in the university in each examination. He secured the top position while completing Economics Tripos at the University of Cambridge in 1957 and was awarded the Adam Smith Prize for 1956.
"Dr Manmohan Singh was elected to a Studentship at Nuffield College, Oxford and was awarded D Phil degree by the University of Oxford in 1962," it also stated.
The citation said, "Dr Manmohan Singh who lives a simple life entered politics as Member of Rajya Sabha in 1991. As Finance Minister (1991-96) he set the country firmly on the path of economic reform and liberalisation. His stint as Finance Minister is recognised as one of the most significant periods of transformation of the Indian economy in the history of independent India."
The citation with respect to Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal described him as an "iconic statesman who has risen to the rare status of a legend in his lifetime."
"Sardar Parkash Singh Badal truly symbolises the modern-day Punjab, and his name has been co-terminus with the fortunes of the state and its people over more than half a century. During this period, both in and out of government, he has navigated the state and its people through difficult times to take them to the present era of peace and complete communal harmony," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Women have emotionally more intense nightmares than men
- BJP leader's son abducted by suspected ULFA militants, Rs 1cr ransom demanded
- Jio test uses commercial airwaves, but no revenue to govt: COAI
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 1st Test, Day 4: Play abandoned again in Durban
- RBL Bank's IPO oversubscribed 3 times on Day 2