PM conferred honorary doctorate by Punjab Agricultural University
Ludhiana: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Saturday conferred with an honorary doctorate by the Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) with the citation describing him as the "architect of economic reforms in the country."
Besides the Prime Minister, honorary degrees were awarded to three others - Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, former director general of ICAR, RS Paroda, and renowned soil scientist Jaswant Singh Kanwar -- at a special convocation organised as part of the university`s Golden Jubilee celebrations.
"Dr Manmohan Singh`s leadership as the Prime Minister of our country has won him wide acclaim. He is respected the world over for his scholarship and his deep knowledge of the global economy," the citation of the Doctor of Science (honoris causa) conferred on him stated.
It noted that Singh had completed his BA Economics (Hons) in 1952 and MA (Economics) in 1954 from the Panjab University, with a first position in the university in each examination. He secured the top position while completing Economics Tripos at the University of Cambridge in 1957 and was awarded the Adam Smith Prize for 1956.
"Dr Manmohan Singh was elected to a Studentship at Nuffield College, Oxford and was awarded D Phil degree by the University of Oxford in 1962," it also stated.
The citation said, "Dr Manmohan Singh who lives a simple life entered politics as Member of Rajya Sabha in 1991. As Finance Minister (1991-96) he set the country firmly on the path of economic reform and liberalisation. His stint as Finance Minister is recognised as one of the most significant periods of transformation of the Indian economy in the history of independent India."
The citation with respect to Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal described him as an "iconic statesman who has risen to the rare status of a legend in his lifetime."
"Sardar Parkash Singh Badal truly symbolises the modern-day Punjab, and his name has been co-terminus with the fortunes of the state and its people over more than half a century. During this period, both in and out of government, he has navigated the state and its people through difficult times to take them to the present era of peace and complete communal harmony," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead