PM conferred honorary doctorate by Punjab Agricultural University
Ludhiana: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Saturday conferred with an honorary doctorate by the Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) with the citation describing him as the "architect of economic reforms in the country."
Besides the Prime Minister, honorary degrees were awarded to three others - Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, former director general of ICAR, RS Paroda, and renowned soil scientist Jaswant Singh Kanwar -- at a special convocation organised as part of the university`s Golden Jubilee celebrations.
"Dr Manmohan Singh`s leadership as the Prime Minister of our country has won him wide acclaim. He is respected the world over for his scholarship and his deep knowledge of the global economy," the citation of the Doctor of Science (honoris causa) conferred on him stated.
It noted that Singh had completed his BA Economics (Hons) in 1952 and MA (Economics) in 1954 from the Panjab University, with a first position in the university in each examination. He secured the top position while completing Economics Tripos at the University of Cambridge in 1957 and was awarded the Adam Smith Prize for 1956.
"Dr Manmohan Singh was elected to a Studentship at Nuffield College, Oxford and was awarded D Phil degree by the University of Oxford in 1962," it also stated.
The citation said, "Dr Manmohan Singh who lives a simple life entered politics as Member of Rajya Sabha in 1991. As Finance Minister (1991-96) he set the country firmly on the path of economic reform and liberalisation. His stint as Finance Minister is recognised as one of the most significant periods of transformation of the Indian economy in the history of independent India."
The citation with respect to Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal described him as an "iconic statesman who has risen to the rare status of a legend in his lifetime."
"Sardar Parkash Singh Badal truly symbolises the modern-day Punjab, and his name has been co-terminus with the fortunes of the state and its people over more than half a century. During this period, both in and out of government, he has navigated the state and its people through difficult times to take them to the present era of peace and complete communal harmony," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured