PM inaugurates housing complex to rehabilitate slum dwellers
Chandigarh: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday inaugurated a housing complex built at a cost of Rs 2,400 crore on the outskirts of the city which would benefit nearly 8,500 families living in slums here.
Singh handed over the keys to 10 people at the inauguration of the project in Dhanas village. A total of 8,448 flats each of 267 square feet have been built under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission scheme.
As per an official survey, there are around 25,000 families that have been identified as living in slums in various places in the city, a spokesman said adding, "The idea of the project is to make Chandigarh slum-free."
These flats will be handed over to the beneficiaries on lease for a period of 20 years, after the completion of the time period, the house will be allotted to them, he said.
The complex would have sewage treatment plant (STP), electricity, drinking water supply, school, police station, dispensary among other things.
The flats have a living room, a bathroom and kitchen and are expected to be inhabited by about 50,000 people.
UT Administrator Shivraj Patil has directed officials to plan and set up solar photovoltaic panels on the roofs of all the flats.
Union Minister of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Girija Vyas, Governors of Punjab and Haryana Shivraj Patil and Jagan Nath Pahadia, Chief Ministers of the two states Parkash Singh Badal and Bhupinder Singh Hooda and local Congress MP Pawan Bansal were among those present.
Tight security arrangements have been made for the Prime Minister`s visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them