PM releases stamp in memory of Punjab leader Beant Singh
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today released a postage stamp in the memory of Punjab leader Beant Singh, saying it is the duty of every citizen to fight against divisive forces posing threat to the country.
Recalling Beant Singh`s "strong and determined" leadership to the state during its turbulent times, he said as the Chief Minister, he brought the state to normalcy after years of terrorist violence.
"Restoring peace in Punjab during those difficult days was no easy task and it is a tribute to the extraordinary leadership qualities of Sardar Beant Singh that he succeeded in doing so.
"If our society is largely peaceful and secular today, it is only because of the courage and patriotism of people like Sardar Beant Singh," the Prime Minister said.
Beant Singh was assassinated in a car bomb attack in secretariat complex in Chandigarh on August 31, 1995.
He said Beant Singh is best remembered for providing strong and determined leadership to Punjab in very troubled times.
"As Chief Minister of Punjab, he brought the state to normalcy after years of terrorist violence. Our freedoms are built on the foundation of their hard work and sacrifices. It is, therefore, our duty as citizens to contribute our bit in the fight against the divisive forces that still pose a threat to our country," he said.
He also recalled Beant Singh`s long innings in public life, spanning over four decades when left a job in the army at the age of 23 to serve the people and went on to hold several important positions.
A public career which started with helping those whose life had been disrupted because of partition in 1947, culminated in the Chief Ministership of Punjab in 1992.
In the intervening years came a range of public positions chairman block samiti, five-term member of the Punjab Assembly and minister in the Punjab government.
He was also the president of the Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee during the very difficult years from 1986 to 1995.
"From 1992 to 1995, as Chief Minister of Punjab, Beant Singh showed an understanding and vision so rarely seen in public life. He worked tirelessly for reconstruction and reconciliation, and for restoration of peace and harmony...In this quest he laid down his own life," the PM said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA