Police arrest 7 for trying to revive terrorism in Punjab
Fatehgarh Sahib: With the arrest of seven youths, Punjab Police on Friday claimed to have busted a group which was allegedly planning to carry out terror attacks in the state.
"On a tip-off, police arrested the youths, aged between 21 to 25, from Peerjain village of this district," Fatehgarh Sahib police chief Gurmeet Singh Chouhan said here.
The SSP claimed that with the arrest, the police have succeeded in thwarting an attempt to revive terrorism in the state.
Those arrested are Karamjeet Singh, Sarwan Singh, Jatinder Singh, Labh Singh, Dharam Singh, Rana Partap Singh and Kashmir Singh, he said, adding that most of them belonged to border district of Gurdaspur and Tarn Taran in the state.
Police also recovered .30 bore, .9 MM and .32 bore pistols along with several round of ammunitions from their possession.
Chouhan said that the youths were getting funds from their accomplices settled in New Zealand, UAE, Uttar Pardesh and Bihar to revive terrorism in the state.
Besides, the gang had planned to eliminate some leaders associated with certain political outfits for their role in 1984 riots.
Police have started a hunt to nab their accomplices.
One of their accomplices, NRI Gurjeet Singh of New Zealand has constituted a gang for carrying out terrorist acts in Punjab, Chouhan said.
The gang was also allegedly planning to eliminate a Hindu right wing activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble