Police arrest 7 for trying to revive terrorism in Punjab
Fatehgarh Sahib: With the arrest of seven youths, Punjab Police on Friday claimed to have busted a group which was allegedly planning to carry out terror attacks in the state.
"On a tip-off, police arrested the youths, aged between 21 to 25, from Peerjain village of this district," Fatehgarh Sahib police chief Gurmeet Singh Chouhan said here.
The SSP claimed that with the arrest, the police have succeeded in thwarting an attempt to revive terrorism in the state.
Those arrested are Karamjeet Singh, Sarwan Singh, Jatinder Singh, Labh Singh, Dharam Singh, Rana Partap Singh and Kashmir Singh, he said, adding that most of them belonged to border district of Gurdaspur and Tarn Taran in the state.
Police also recovered .30 bore, .9 MM and .32 bore pistols along with several round of ammunitions from their possession.
Chouhan said that the youths were getting funds from their accomplices settled in New Zealand, UAE, Uttar Pardesh and Bihar to revive terrorism in the state.
Besides, the gang had planned to eliminate some leaders associated with certain political outfits for their role in 1984 riots.
Police have started a hunt to nab their accomplices.
One of their accomplices, NRI Gurjeet Singh of New Zealand has constituted a gang for carrying out terrorist acts in Punjab, Chouhan said.
The gang was also allegedly planning to eliminate a Hindu right wing activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar