Police arrests five for bank fraud
Ludhiana: Police on Friday arrested five members of a gang, including a bank employee, involved in fraudulent withdrawal of money from different banks through fake cheques.
The arrested have confessed to the fraudulent withdrawal of Rs 2.78 crore from the accounts of different people in various banks at Amritsar, Banga, Nawanshahar and Ludhiana, Assistant Police Commissioner (ACP) Sapan Sharma said.
One of the arrested, Ramesh Kumar an employee of Punjab National Bank of a local branch used to provide them the vital informations like account numbers, name of the account holder, the serial number of cheque books of the concerned depositors and photo copies of the specimen signatures of the account holder, ACP said.
A laptop, Rs 43,000 in cash, several fake cheques, fake stamps and a printer have been recovered from the possession of the arrested persons, the police official added.
The arrested include king pin of the gang Satish Kumar Bhatia, Surjit Singh, Saudagar Singh, Ramesh Kumar and Jagdev Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened