Police conduct raid in Faridkot jail, recover mobiles, drugs
Faridkot: Days after violence erupted in Faridkot Jail over the custodial death of an undertrial, a raiding police team recovered mobile phones, drugs, syringes and knives from the inmates.
"Police recovered cell phones from two under trials, one of whom is facing a murder charge," Faridkot SSP Gurpreet Singh Toor said.
"20 syringes were recovered from the bathroom, besides knives and small iron rods," he said.
Superintendent of Jail J P Singh said if jail employees were found to be helping inmates, they will not be spared and strict action will be taken against them.
Meanwhile, Sub-Divisional Magistrate Darshan Singh Grewal visited the jail yesterday as Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had ordered a magisterial inquiry into the April 22 incident.
Violent protests had erupted after Harsha Singh (65), who was facing trial under NDPS Act, died in the jail.
Three undertrials lodged in the jail here have died due to various reasons during the last few days.
Thirteen jail inmates have been booked in connection with the violence.
During the search of inmates` barracks on Wednesday, police had recovered drugs and needles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player