Police officer father of Burundi youth attack accused dies
Jalandhar: A Punjab police officer, whose son was an accused in the assault on Burundi student Yannick Nihangaza in April last year, on Tuesday died of cardiac arrest.
"Dharam Singh Uppal (the officer) complained of chest pain last night after which he went to a hospital. He passed away in the wee hours of today after suffering heart attack," DCP Sarabjit Singh said quoting family sources.
Uppal, 54, was suspended in October last year for allegedly threatening the eye witnesses and influencing the probe into the case for shielding his son Romi, the key accused.
Before suspension, he was posted as Superintendent of Police in Nawanshahr district.
Romi is currently under judicial custody and Sarabjit, quoting family sources, said Uppal was in a depressed state of mind over involvement of his son.
Meanwhile Uppal`s brother Malook Singh, who also is an officer with the state police department, denied allegations that his brother had threatened the eye witnesses.
Yannick, who was a student in a private university, was going to a party in Jalandhar when he was attacked by some persons.
He was stoned and severely thrashed and left on the roadside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter