Police officer father of Burundi youth attack accused dies
Jalandhar: A Punjab police officer, whose son was an accused in the assault on Burundi student Yannick Nihangaza in April last year, on Tuesday died of cardiac arrest.
"Dharam Singh Uppal (the officer) complained of chest pain last night after which he went to a hospital. He passed away in the wee hours of today after suffering heart attack," DCP Sarabjit Singh said quoting family sources.
Uppal, 54, was suspended in October last year for allegedly threatening the eye witnesses and influencing the probe into the case for shielding his son Romi, the key accused.
Before suspension, he was posted as Superintendent of Police in Nawanshahr district.
Romi is currently under judicial custody and Sarabjit, quoting family sources, said Uppal was in a depressed state of mind over involvement of his son.
Meanwhile Uppal`s brother Malook Singh, who also is an officer with the state police department, denied allegations that his brother had threatened the eye witnesses.
Yannick, who was a student in a private university, was going to a party in Jalandhar when he was attacked by some persons.
He was stoned and severely thrashed and left on the roadside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why