Police should not have revealed victim`s name: Punjab rape victim`s kin
Gurdaspur: Punjab police on Sunday drew flak from all quarters, including the 29-year-old gang-rape victim`s kin, for revealing the woman`s name.
"The police should not have made the name of the woman public," a relative of the gang-rape victim said.
Police yesterday issued the the gang-rape victim`s name in a press note late last night. The press note was issued after the registration of FIR lodged by police on the basis of complaint filed by the victim yesterday.
The district police chief was under attack from various religious, political parties and NGOs for releasing the name of the woman in public.
Gurdaspur SSP Raj Jeet Singh could not be contacted for a comment on the issue.
Earlier today, police claimed to have arrested sixth culprit out of seven involved in gang-rape of the 29-year-old woman. However, seventh accused was still at large, they said.
The victim, a resident of a Ghukla village near here was on way to her village in a bus when the driver and conductor kidnapped her and took her to an undisclosed location where they and their five accomplices gang-raped and later dumped her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!