Police use water cannon on Youth Congress workers
Chandigarh: Chandigarh Police used water cannon against Punjab Youth Congress workers to stop them from proceeding towards the official residence of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal as part of protest against "failure" of the state government to arrest the killers of their leader.
Sukhraj Singh Bhugurpur was shot dead recently before the Patti local bodies election in Tarn Taran district.
Chandigarh Police personnel used force to stop the Youth Congress workers from proceeding to the CM residence from the Punjab Congress Headquarters in Sector 15 in violation of prohibitory orders in the area banning assembly of five or more persons or taking out of procession.
Police used lathis and water cannon in to stop the Youth Congress workers from marching ahead by breaking the police barricades in their attempt to gherao the residence of the Chief Minister.
Around 50 Youth Congress workers, including President of Punjab Youth Congress Vikram Singh Chaudhary and Anandpur Sahab Lok Sabha MP Ravneet Bittu, were taken into custody by the Chandigarh Police as a precautionary measure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion