Political parties trade charges at Jor Mela
Fatehgarh Sahib: The ruling SAD and the opposition Congress in Punjab Wednesday used the occasion of Jor Mela, a religious event, to trade charges against each other, especially on the law and order front.
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said the SAD-BJP government had never extended political patronage to anyone to take law into his hands.
It had responded swiftly against any act of wrongdoing, he said at a SAD religious congregation held on the occasion of Jor Mela.
Sukhbir, also the SAD chief, said anybody, irrespective of his political or personal connections, would have to face music for any infringement of law.
He said he had clearly given instructions to the Punjab Police to take prompt action in case of any violation of the law.
Sukhbir charged the Congress with trying to derive politial mileage on the law and order issue.
The SAD president said he had directed party district chiefs and general secretaries to shunt out all those elements which could damage party?s image.
At the conference organised by the Congress, state party chief Amarinder Singh slammed the SAD-BJP government on the law and order front.
He alleged Akali leaders were patronising anti-social elements in the state.
Amarinder said MLA Joginder Pal Jain had resigned from the Congress and joined SAD due to political pressure.
"Jain was facing many cases. So, the SAD pressurised him to join its fold," he said.
Jain today joined SAD after quitting as an MLA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India