Political parties trade charges at Jor Mela
Fatehgarh Sahib: The ruling SAD and the opposition Congress in Punjab Wednesday used the occasion of Jor Mela, a religious event, to trade charges against each other, especially on the law and order front.
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said the SAD-BJP government had never extended political patronage to anyone to take law into his hands.
It had responded swiftly against any act of wrongdoing, he said at a SAD religious congregation held on the occasion of Jor Mela.
Sukhbir, also the SAD chief, said anybody, irrespective of his political or personal connections, would have to face music for any infringement of law.
He said he had clearly given instructions to the Punjab Police to take prompt action in case of any violation of the law.
Sukhbir charged the Congress with trying to derive politial mileage on the law and order issue.
The SAD president said he had directed party district chiefs and general secretaries to shunt out all those elements which could damage party?s image.
At the conference organised by the Congress, state party chief Amarinder Singh slammed the SAD-BJP government on the law and order front.
He alleged Akali leaders were patronising anti-social elements in the state.
Amarinder said MLA Joginder Pal Jain had resigned from the Congress and joined SAD due to political pressure.
"Jain was facing many cases. So, the SAD pressurised him to join its fold," he said.
Jain today joined SAD after quitting as an MLA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH