Political war erupts as Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel`s statue goes missing
Jalandhar: A statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel has reportedly gone missing from the storeroom of Jalandhar Municipal Corporation, prompting a war of words between leaders of Congress and BJP.
Taking a dig at the BJP leadership over the missing statue, senior Congress leader Virendra Sharma said, "While BJP`s senior leadership is trying to "hijack" Sardar Patel`s legacy, the regional leaders are insulting him."
The matter came to light after the Congress demanded that the Patel`s statute, which was procured around 60 years ago, be installed at Patel Chowk here, amid renewed political war over the country`s first home minister`s legacy.
When the BJP-SAD controlled corporation authorities searched for the bronze statue, it was found missing.
"The mayor should explain how did the statue disappear," Sharma said.
Jalandhar mayor Sunil Jyoti said, "I have instructed the store manager to look into the matter."
Responding to the Congress` allegations, senior BJP leader Rajat Kumar Mohindru said, "Congress leaders remembered to restore the legacy of Patel when Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of Patel`s statue on October 31. The statue has been lying in the storeroom since 1973, then why wasn`t it installed earlier?"
The statue was installed at the railway station in 1950 after Patel`s death. But on railways` opposition it was reinstalled in the DC office of Municipal Corporation. When they faced difficulties there too, the statue was removed and has been kept in the storeroom since then.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani