Power cuts hit normal life in Punjab
Chandigarh: Despite lower demand during winters, power consumers in Punjab are facing load-shedding by state-owned utility due to supply shortage.
Although officials claimed that efforts were being made to restore the uninterrupted power supply, 4-6 hours load- shedding has disrupted the normal life in the state.
They attributed frequent technical snags in state-owned plants and not receiving power from Mundra power project to the current crisis.
Punjab State Power Corporation Ltd (PSPCL) has resorted to buying power from other sources for the first time in this winter season to bridge the gap between demand and supply.
PSPCL is facing a gap of 20-25 lakh units against the supply of 900 lakh units per day, official sources said.
"We have been observing frequent technical snag faced by our power plants in past several days which led to less generation of power supply in the state," a senior PSPCL official told a news agency today.
Currently, one unit with capacity of 210 MW of Ropar thermal power plant was not generating power because of technical snag, he added.
Power crisis in the state also worsened because of power utility not being able to get power supply from thermal power project located in Gujarat.
"We were supposed to receive 190X2 MW of power supply from Mundra power project in Gujarat but we are unable to get the same. It also compunded our problems," he said.
Power officials informed that they were sourcing power from other sources in order to meet the power demand in the state. "We are purchasing power at Rs 5.50 per unit from outside so as to match demand and supply," he added.
Officials also pointed out that increase in demand for power supply from industry and farm sectors also put strain on the availability of power, forcing the power utility to impose power cuts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`