Power situation eases in Punjab, Haryana due to rains
Chandigarh: Power situation in Punjab and Haryana eased considerably following widespread rain lashing the northern region with demand for power dipping sharply.
Less demand for energy enabled power utilities in Punjab and Haryana to rollback "unscheduled" power cuts imposed on various consumer categories, officials said.
"There is a sharp fall in demand for power today because of rains. The demand has come down from 8,300 MW yesterday to 4,400 MW today," a senior official of Punjab State Power Corporation Limited told PTI today.
In Haryana also, the demand for power came down by 1,000 MW because of rain.
"There is a drop in demand for power by about 1,000 MW. Yesterday, the demand was 6,500 MW," Haryana Power secretary Ajit Mohan Sharan said.
The sudden "load crashing" has also forced Punjab power utility to shut down its seven units of three thermal power plants.
"We have stopped generating 1,360 MW of power by shutting down our power plants temporarily because of less demand," he said.
PSPCL has shut down 3 units of Ropar thermal plant (210 MW each), 2 units of Lehra Mohabbat (250 MW each) and 2 units of Bathinda power plant (120 MW, 110 MW).
Meanwhile, water level in Bhakra reservoir today reached 1,589.05 feet as against 1,533.34 feet on the corresponding day last year.
"The level of water in Bhakra is 55 feet more than what it was on the same day last year," an official of Bhakra Beas Management Board said.
"Water level is rising 1.5 feet every day due to snow melting," he said.
Partnering states including Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan get water from Bhakra and Pong for various purposes, including irrigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state