Power starved Punjab planning to `illuminate` Lahore: Manish Tewari
Ludhiana: Union minister Manish Tewari on Friday questioned the Punjab government`s reported move to sell power to Pakistan, saying the Akali-BJP government was trying "to illuminate Lahore" while the state was facing massive power shortage.
"It is strange that the Akali-BJP government in Punjab is trying to illuminate Lahore while Punjab continues to remain enveloped in darkness due to massive power shortage," he said.
The Union Information and Broadcasting Minister was reacting to media reports that Punjab government was mulling signing an agreement with Pakistan`s Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif for selling power.
Tewari questioned from where Punjab will get the power to export it to Pakistan, as the state, during the peak demand, was still short of about 6,000 MW.
"Even when all the power plants get fully operational, Punjab will still be short of about 4,000 MW power," he claimed.
"Just because the state government has inaugurated two units in two thermal plants at Rajpura and Talwandi Sabo generating 1,300 MW more does not mean the state is power sufficient, leave aside being power surplus so that it can export it," he observed, while adding, Punjab has a long way to go before it could even be self sufficient in power production.
The Minister also claimed that the industry during the peak demand was subjected to four-day power cuts in a week.
Tewari pointed out that even in the agriculture sector the state was not able to supply the promised eight hour power. Besides, he added, there was no end to the unscheduled power cuts in Punjab during last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees