Prakash Singh Badal doesn`t want me to contest LS polls from Amritsar: Sidhu
Amritsar: Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu on Friday claimed that Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal was not in favour of him contesting the upcoming Lok Sabha polls as the BJP candidate from Amritsar.
If Shiromani Akali Dal leader Badal was fine with supporting him, then he would have asked his party workers to work wholeheartedly in his favour, said Sidhu, the BJP MP from Amritsar.
Sidhu has made it clear that he would contest the Lok Sabha polls from nowhere but Amritsar since he was committed to the people of the city.
The BJP high command cannot field any candidate from Amritsar without Badal`s consent as the ruling SAD`s support was crucial for success in any poll contest in Punjab, Sidhu has said.
Meanwhile, asked whether he would be taking part in Narendra Modi`s rally in Jagraon, Sidhu said he had not received an invitation from BJP for the same and would not attend uninvited.
If BJP were to hand a ticket to Sidhu to contest from Amritsar, then he might have to face singer Rabbi Shergil, whom Aam Aadmi Party may field as its candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH