Prince Charles, Camilla visit Punjab
Chandigarh: Prince Charles and his wife Camilla arrived here Monday for a one-day visit to Punjab to see the use of solar energy and organic farming.
The Prince, who Sunday declared the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi open, headed to the Punjab Raj Bhawan after landing at Chandigarh.
He will visit the solar passive building of the Punjab Energy Development Agency (PEDA) here. He will see a specially designed building that utilizes solar energy for electricity generation and natural light for all interior areas.
The building has been designed in a way to allow free air circulation. which minimizes the use of fans and air-conditioners.
The Prince will then fly to Hansali village in Fatehgarh Sahib district, 70 km from here, to see the agricultural farm of Sukhchain Singh Gill, who does organic farming.
"I welcome the visit of Prince Charles. He wanted to see an organic farm. My farm has been selected, and I am quite excited," Gill said.
Duchess of Cornwall Camilla will visit the St. Stephen`s School here and later a centre for mentally challenged children.
The royal couple will then go to Patiala, 70 km from here, where they will be the guests of former Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh and wife, union Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur.
Amarinder Singh and Preneet Kaur belong to the erstwhile royal family of Patiala. The royals will attend a dinner hosted Monday by Amarinder Singh and will stay at their palace.
The media have been kept out of all the events.
Prince Charles and Camilla visited Patiala in 2006. Then too the Prince saw an organic farm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof