Probe into issuance of armed licence to Namdhari
Chandigarh: Taking cognizance of media reports regarding issuance of armed license to Sukhdev Singh Namdhari, an accused in the Ponty Chadha shootout case, and clearance of his passport application, the Punjab government on Wednesday ordered an inquiry into the entire affair.
The probe would be conducted by Principal Secretary (Home) DS Bains, a spokesperson of the Chief Minister`s office said.
The Deputy Chief Minister, who also holds the Home portfolio, had asked Bains to submit the report within a fortnight.
He also directed the Principal Secretary (Home) to suggest concrete measures to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
Yesterday, the Jalandhar Passport Office impounded the passport of Namdhari, who was recently sacked as chief of the Uttarakhand Minorities Commission.
Regional Passport Officer Parneet Singh had said "we have impounded his passport which was issued to him in May 2006."
"An Uttarakhand resident had informed us that Namdhari had given a wrong address while applying for the passport," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured