Protest march against introduction of property tax in Punjab
Phagwara: Activists of Hindu outfits today held a protest march here against the imposition of "huge property tax" by the state government.
Members of Parshu Ram Sena and Hindu Sangh started the march from the statue of Mahatma Gandhi along the national highway here and reached the office of Commissioner at the Town Hall, where they held a demonstration.
The protesters flayed the state government for "burdening common people with unwarranted taxes at a time when the inflation is already sky-high."
They then presented a memorandum to Commissioner Kuldip Singh Vaid, urging the state government to withdraw the tax.
The state government last month introduced property tax in the state. People will now have to pay tax on commercial and residential properties, including vacant plots, with effect from April 1, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it