Protest march against introduction of property tax in Punjab
Phagwara: Activists of Hindu outfits today held a protest march here against the imposition of "huge property tax" by the state government.
Members of Parshu Ram Sena and Hindu Sangh started the march from the statue of Mahatma Gandhi along the national highway here and reached the office of Commissioner at the Town Hall, where they held a demonstration.
The protesters flayed the state government for "burdening common people with unwarranted taxes at a time when the inflation is already sky-high."
They then presented a memorandum to Commissioner Kuldip Singh Vaid, urging the state government to withdraw the tax.
The state government last month introduced property tax in the state. People will now have to pay tax on commercial and residential properties, including vacant plots, with effect from April 1, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Confirmed: Apple iPhone 7 pre-orders to start September 9
- HC refuses to put on hold Dayashankar Singh's arrest over derogatory remarks against Mayawati
- Assam floods: CM Sarbananda Sonowal sends ministers to districts
- I'll be expected to deliver bigger film after 'Sultan': Ali Abbas Zafar
- I can never be disciplined like Aamir, says Shah Rukh Khan