Punjab: 3 arrested for hospital fire tragedy
Patiala: Over two years after six infants were burnt to death in a fire that broke out in the phototherapy ward of a government-run hospital in this Punjab town, three people, including the head of the paediatrics department, have been arrested, police said on Monday.
According to police, the arrested were identified as KK Locham, head of the paediatrics department of Rajindra Hospital, nurse Rita Kaur and class four employee Satya.
"We had booked three staffers of Rajindra Hospital Sunday evening and they were arrested late night. They were held guilty in an inquiry report that was submitted by a senior police officer around two months back," Station House Officer of the Civil Lines police station GS Sikand told a news agency on Monday.
"Dr Locham is accused of negligence. The fire was the result of short-circuit and the wiring was not changed since this hospital was constructed in 1950s," he added.
A probe was conducted by Superintendent of Police (operation) SS Boparai, on the basis of which the first information report was registered.
Earlier, a judicial probe was also conducted by former Punjab and Haryana High Court judge KC Gupta, who was appointed on the one-man inquiry committee by the Punjab`s chief minister. In his report, Gupta had recommended that four hospital employees, including two doctors, be chargesheeted.
The tragedy occurred in January 2009, when the infants were being treated for jaundice. Five of the infants were charred to death on the spot before any help could arrive, while another infant succumbed to the burns later. Their mothers had fed them barely 20 minutes before the incident, said hospital authorities.
Patiala is around 70 km away from the state capital Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India