Punjab: 3 arrested for hospital fire tragedy
Patiala: Over two years after six infants were burnt to death in a fire that broke out in the phototherapy ward of a government-run hospital in this Punjab town, three people, including the head of the paediatrics department, have been arrested, police said on Monday.
According to police, the arrested were identified as KK Locham, head of the paediatrics department of Rajindra Hospital, nurse Rita Kaur and class four employee Satya.
"We had booked three staffers of Rajindra Hospital Sunday evening and they were arrested late night. They were held guilty in an inquiry report that was submitted by a senior police officer around two months back," Station House Officer of the Civil Lines police station GS Sikand told a news agency on Monday.
"Dr Locham is accused of negligence. The fire was the result of short-circuit and the wiring was not changed since this hospital was constructed in 1950s," he added.
A probe was conducted by Superintendent of Police (operation) SS Boparai, on the basis of which the first information report was registered.
Earlier, a judicial probe was also conducted by former Punjab and Haryana High Court judge KC Gupta, who was appointed on the one-man inquiry committee by the Punjab`s chief minister. In his report, Gupta had recommended that four hospital employees, including two doctors, be chargesheeted.
The tragedy occurred in January 2009, when the infants were being treated for jaundice. Five of the infants were charred to death on the spot before any help could arrive, while another infant succumbed to the burns later. Their mothers had fed them barely 20 minutes before the incident, said hospital authorities.
Patiala is around 70 km away from the state capital Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch