Punjab and Haryana High Court chief takes oath
Chandigarh: Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul was on Saturday administered the oath as the chief justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court here.
Haryana Governor Jagannath Pahadia administered the oath of office to Chief Justice Kaul at a ceremony at the Haryana Raj Bhavan here.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, ministers and senior officers of Haryana and Punjab and judges of the high court were present at the ceremony.
Interacting with the media persons after the oath, Chief Justice Kaul said his priorities would be to bring down the pendency of cases, which is currently about 11.51 lakh in district courts of Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh.
He said that the strength of judges of Punjab and Haryana High Court has gone down to 41 as against the sanctioned strength of 68 judges.
"Shortage of judges leads to pendency in the cases and the ideal strength should be between 50-55. To lessen the burden on the court, alternative dispute resolution should be strengthened," the chief justice said.
A product of Delhi`s Modern School, Chief Justice Kaul practised in the Delhi High Court and the Supreme Court before being made a judge in the high court in May 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why