Punjab and Haryana reel under fog and cold
Chandigarh: Fog threw normal life out of gear in Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh Monday affecting air, rail and road traffic as the mercury plummeted sharply in the region on the New year eve.
Early morning dense fog reduced visibility to just a few metres adversely affecting air, rail and road traffic in the twin states, official said here.
While most of the flights from Chandigarh airport were cancelled or re-scheduled in view of low visibility, several trains passing through the plains of Punjab and Haryana are running hours behind schedule.
A serpentine queue of vehicles could be seen moving slowly on highways due to the dense fog.
Besides foggy conditions, the minimum temperature sharply fell in the region as the mercury hovered between four degrees Celsius below normal to one notch above normal in several parts of Punjab and Haryana, the Met office said.
Tripping of power supply and low pressure of water further aggravated to the woes of the people of the region, officials said.
In the plains of Punjab and Haryana, Narnaul braved the lowest temperature with a low of 1.9 degrees Celsius, which was four notches below normal.
While Bhiwani settled at a low of 3.6 degrees Celsius, the minimum temperature at Hisar and Karnal was an identical 5.4 degrees Celsius, one notch each below normal.
Patiala settled at a low of 5.8 degrees ceLsius, one notch below normal followed by 5.8 degrees Celsius at Ludhiana, also one notch below normal, Amritsar six degrees Celsius, Chandigarh 6.4 degrees Celsius, one notch below normal and 6.8 degrees Celsius at Ambala, one notch above normal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video