Punjab and Haryana reel under fog and cold
Chandigarh: Fog threw normal life out of gear in Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh Monday affecting air, rail and road traffic as the mercury plummeted sharply in the region on the New year eve.
Early morning dense fog reduced visibility to just a few metres adversely affecting air, rail and road traffic in the twin states, official said here.
While most of the flights from Chandigarh airport were cancelled or re-scheduled in view of low visibility, several trains passing through the plains of Punjab and Haryana are running hours behind schedule.
A serpentine queue of vehicles could be seen moving slowly on highways due to the dense fog.
Besides foggy conditions, the minimum temperature sharply fell in the region as the mercury hovered between four degrees Celsius below normal to one notch above normal in several parts of Punjab and Haryana, the Met office said.
Tripping of power supply and low pressure of water further aggravated to the woes of the people of the region, officials said.
In the plains of Punjab and Haryana, Narnaul braved the lowest temperature with a low of 1.9 degrees Celsius, which was four notches below normal.
While Bhiwani settled at a low of 3.6 degrees Celsius, the minimum temperature at Hisar and Karnal was an identical 5.4 degrees Celsius, one notch each below normal.
Patiala settled at a low of 5.8 degrees ceLsius, one notch below normal followed by 5.8 degrees Celsius at Ludhiana, also one notch below normal, Amritsar six degrees Celsius, Chandigarh 6.4 degrees Celsius, one notch below normal and 6.8 degrees Celsius at Ambala, one notch above normal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...