Punjab ASI shot dead on Jalandhar-Ludhiana highway
Jalandhar: An assistant sub-inspector of the Punjab Police was shot dead by unidentified people on the Jalandhar-Ludhiana highway late Sunday night, police said on Monday.
According to reports, Gurdev Singh was shot at when he, along with other cops, chased a white Verna car for not stopping when he signalled it to.
Unidentified people in the car then allegedly started shooting at the cops. A bullet hit Singh in the chest, and he died on the spot, according to reports.
Singh was on duty on National Highway No 1 (Delhi-Amritsar) and was allegedly shot dead near Haveli Restaurant, 10 km from Jalandhar city and 150 km from Chandigarh.
Police have not identified the four-five people in the car as yet.
This is the fourth killing of a Punjab Police officer in the month of March.
Since December last year, five ASIs have been killed in separate incidents.
According to police, the ASI was chasing a youth who appeared suspicious. A car stopped near the ASI, one man emerged and shot the police official at close range. A head constable, who was accompanying the ASI, managed to save himself.
The head constable said there were three people in the car, who sped after gunning down the ASI.
ASI Ravinder Pal Singh Mangat was killed on March 29 after being assaulted by a truck driver near Patiala town, 80 km from here. The ASI had signalled the truck to stop near the upcoming campus of the Rajiv Gandhi National Law University during a VIP visit.
Another ASI, Kulbir Singh died in mysterious circumstances when he went with a police raiding party to a village in Tarn Taran district on March 05 to take protesting farmers` leaders into preventive custody.
Another ASI was found dead in Punjab`s Barnala area last month.
In December last year, ASI Ravinder Pal Singh was shot dead near Amritsar while trying to stop a ruling Aklali Dal leader from harassing his daughter.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh