Punjab ASI shot dead on Jalandhar-Ludhiana highway
Jalandhar: An assistant sub-inspector of the Punjab Police was shot dead by unidentified people on the Jalandhar-Ludhiana highway late Sunday night, police said on Monday.
According to reports, Gurdev Singh was shot at when he, along with other cops, chased a white Verna car for not stopping when he signalled it to.
Unidentified people in the car then allegedly started shooting at the cops. A bullet hit Singh in the chest, and he died on the spot, according to reports.
Singh was on duty on National Highway No 1 (Delhi-Amritsar) and was allegedly shot dead near Haveli Restaurant, 10 km from Jalandhar city and 150 km from Chandigarh.
Police have not identified the four-five people in the car as yet.
This is the fourth killing of a Punjab Police officer in the month of March.
Since December last year, five ASIs have been killed in separate incidents.
According to police, the ASI was chasing a youth who appeared suspicious. A car stopped near the ASI, one man emerged and shot the police official at close range. A head constable, who was accompanying the ASI, managed to save himself.
The head constable said there were three people in the car, who sped after gunning down the ASI.
ASI Ravinder Pal Singh Mangat was killed on March 29 after being assaulted by a truck driver near Patiala town, 80 km from here. The ASI had signalled the truck to stop near the upcoming campus of the Rajiv Gandhi National Law University during a VIP visit.
Another ASI, Kulbir Singh died in mysterious circumstances when he went with a police raiding party to a village in Tarn Taran district on March 05 to take protesting farmers` leaders into preventive custody.
Another ASI was found dead in Punjab`s Barnala area last month.
In December last year, ASI Ravinder Pal Singh was shot dead near Amritsar while trying to stop a ruling Aklali Dal leader from harassing his daughter.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok