Punjab Assembly Speaker gets anticipatory bail in graft case
Patiala: Punjab Assembly Speaker Nirmal
Singh Kahlon was Tuesday granted anticipatory bail by a local
CBI court in a graft case registered against him and 13
Special CBI Judge Balbir Singh granted bail to Kahlon who
appeared in the court here today after Punjab and Haryana High
Court had yesterday granted him interim protection from arrest
in the case.
Justice MMS Bedi of the High Court directed Kahlon to
appear before the special CBI Judge today.
The CBI court granted bail to Kahlon on his furnishing
bail bond of Rs 50,000 and adjourned the case to August 26.
A special court in Patiala had rejected the anticipatory
bail plea of Kahlon on technical grounds last week in
connection with the case registered against him and 13 others
for alleged irregularities in selection of panchayat
secretaries during 1997-2002.
The bail application had been rejected by Special Judge
of CBI court Balbir Singh who, in his order, had said the
petition for anticipatory bail was not maintainable in his
court where the chargesheet against Kahlon and 13 others was
filed by CBI on July 9 in connection with the case.
CBI had filed a chargesheet for their alleged involvement
in large scale irregularities in recruitment of 909 panchayat
secretaries in Rural Development Panchayat department of
Punjab government when he was minister in-charge of the
department during SAD-BJP government`s previous tenure from
1997 to 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place