Punjab: Atrocities against SCs; NCSC hits out
Chandigarh: The National Commission for
Scheduled Castes (NCSC) today hit out at the Punjab government
for "rising" atrocities against Scheduled Caste people.
After a meeting with state government officials, NCSC
Chairman PL Punia said atrocities against SCs in the state
were on rise.
The cases of atrocities against SC families increased from
97 in 2009 to 118 in 2010, he said.
Punia said the state had not even held a meeting of the
State Vigilance and Monitoring Committee to monitor atrocities
against SCs in the last five years.
"The committee should hold a meeting every six months but
the state government did not conduct such exercise during the
last five years," he said.
Punia pointed out that SC families constitute 31 per cent
of total population in Punjab as per the latest census.
He accused the state government of diverting funds meant
for uplift of SCs out of the state annual plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you