Punjab: Atrocities against SCs; NCSC hits out
Chandigarh: The National Commission for
Scheduled Castes (NCSC) today hit out at the Punjab government
for "rising" atrocities against Scheduled Caste people.
After a meeting with state government officials, NCSC
Chairman PL Punia said atrocities against SCs in the state
were on rise.
The cases of atrocities against SC families increased from
97 in 2009 to 118 in 2010, he said.
Punia said the state had not even held a meeting of the
State Vigilance and Monitoring Committee to monitor atrocities
against SCs in the last five years.
"The committee should hold a meeting every six months but
the state government did not conduct such exercise during the
last five years," he said.
Punia pointed out that SC families constitute 31 per cent
of total population in Punjab as per the latest census.
He accused the state government of diverting funds meant
for uplift of SCs out of the state annual plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Sharks possess distinct personalities like humans
- 'Sultan' new poster: See robust Salman Khan turns 'Golden Sultan' magnifying the aura!
- Bihar class 10th result 2016 declared; check Bihar Board Matric class 10 Results 2016 on biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Love is blind, like literally! Riteish Deshmukh's 'Housefull 3' proves it - Pic Inside
- Dance with the devil: What Manchester United under Jose Mourinho might be like