Punjab: BKI targeting religious leaders
New Delhi: A suspected member of the banned
Babbar Khalsa International (BKI), who was arrested on Monday here, had been plotting with the outfit chief to target religious leaders in Punjab, police claimed Friday.
Narender Singh (43) was apprehended from the airport on
Monday, they said, adding that he was on his way to Germany to
allegedly meet a top operative of the terror group.
Police sources claimed they recovered a CD and six
calendars with photograph of slain terrorist Jarnail Singh
Bhindranwale and his articles.
"We had information that Singh was leaving India for
Germany from IGI Airport by Qatar Airlines. The search of his
belongings revealed two CDs containing incriminating material.
The CDs contained provocative speeches," police said in a
Singh is based in Spain but frequently visits Germany.
"In Germany, he came in contact with Hardevinder Singh, Chief of Babbar Khalsa International. He was motivated by him to join the Babbar Khalsa International in 2000.
"Initially he was tasked to go to India and contact the
families of slain militants in Punjab and provide them
"In November, 2011, he along with Hardevinder Singh went
to Pakistan and at Lahore met Wadhawa Singh, Chief of Babbar
Khalsa International. There he underwent training in handling
of arms and explosives," police claimed.
"Wadhawa Singh also discussed targeting Baba Gurmeet Ram
Rahim Singh (Sirsa), Baba Pyara Singh Panehare Wale and Baba
Ashutosh. A case under the appropriate sections of the law was
registered," they said.
Singh told police that he came to India from Germany in
the first week of February. He received in the second week of
March, a consignment of two pistols, four magazines and 50
rounds at Jalandhar, police claimed.
"He was directed to ensure that the arms consignment was
kept safe for future use. The arms and ammunition has since
been recovered from Jalandhar," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave