Punjab by-elections: EC issues instruction on exit, opinion polls
Chandigarh: In view of by-elections to Talwandi Sabo and Patiala Assembly segments in Punjab, the Election Commission has issued instructions restricting conduct of exit poll and dissemination of its results between 7.00 am and 6.30 pm on August 21, the polling day.
Punjab Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) V K Singh said here today that the EC had on July 19 announced the schedule for by-elections to Patiala and Talwandi Sabo constituencies.
"As per the provisions of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, there will be restrictions on conduct of any exit poll and publication and dissemination of result of such exit poll during the period between 7.00 am and 6.30 pm on August 21," he said.
The bypolls were necessitated after Patiala MLA Amarinder Singh got elected to Lok Sabha from Amritsar, and sitting Congress MLA from Talwandi Sabo Jeet Mohinder Singh Sidhu deserted the party to join the ruling SAD.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know