Punjab Chief Minister urges Centre to curb drug menace
Dehradun: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday asked the Centre to take effective steps to curb drug trafficking going on through Pakistan, Afghanistan and Rajasthan.
Reacting to Rahul Gandhi`s recent remarks that 70 percent of the youths in Punjab were drug addicts, Badal said drug addiction was a national problem caused by widespread unemployment which could be combated only by the Centre`s intervention.
Most of the powers in this regard are confined in the Centre`s hands and if the federal system is strengthened and more powers are vested in the states the problem of drug addiction could be overcome, he said.
He said as the country`s frontiers are guarded by BSF, the Centre is in a better position to rein in drug trafficking being carried out through Pakistan, Afghanistan and Rajasthan. The drug trafficking takes place due to the connivance of BSF personnel, he alleged.
"Poppy husk is grown in Rajasthan and trafficked to neighbouring Punjab often with the connivance of BSF personnel," Badal said and urged the Centre to take necessary step to control the problem.
He also asked all political parties to come together on the issue of strengthening the federal structure which will go a long way in tackling the menace.
Badal, who was here to sign an agreement with the Forest Research Institute here, said he was against FDI in multi- brand retail as it would harm the interest of small shopkeepers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH