Punjab CM Badal, Sukhbir, SGPC felicitate Obama
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, his son and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal and Sikh religious body SGPC on Wednesday felicitated Barack Obama for winning a second term to the US presidency.
In a message here, Badal expressed hope that the world would become a better place to live in during the next four years.
He said Indians in general, and Punjabis in particular, held Obama in high esteem for his outstanding and sympathetic role during the Wisconsin incident.
In a separate message, Sukhbir, who is currently touring Pakistan, also congratulated Obama on his re-election as the US President.
Sukhbir said the world looks at the US president as a symbol of hope, especially for the youth.
"Your bold and path-breaking leadership and your new ideas and approach are a source of inspiration to others trying to bring about a change for the better in their society," he said.
Meanwhile, SGPC congratulated Obama on his re-election, saying the Sikh community in India was happy over his victory.
Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee president Avtar Singh Makkar said it was also good news for the Sikh community living in America.
Makkar said the US President understood concerns of the Sikhs and minorities in US, and called him "friend of the Sikhs". He said Obama was always receptive to Sikhs` demands.
"During the unfortunate incident of shootout at Oak Creek Gurdwara in Wisconsin two months ago, Obama rose above politics and felt concerned, taking appreciable steps to gather sense of safety and security amongst Sikh community," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement